Death Certificate Database

Ask An Archivist

Death Certificate Database


Hear stories from people who have found answers to their questions in the Wyoming State Archives

Wyoming State Archives researcher - chuck wagons Wyoming State Archives researcher - CCC Camps in Wyoming Wyoming State Archives researcher - Land Man

Basic Recordkeeping Tips for Nonprofit Organizations

We understand that many of the staffs of nonprofit organizations in Wyoming do not have the time necessary to learn the ins and outs of the preferred methods of storing, handling, and keeping their records. With that in mind, we would like to offer a few tips to get you headed in the right direction. We have included some links to additional detailed information if you would like to learn more.

Every organization has records that it should keep to document its history. Meeting minutes, photographs taken at events, and articles in newspapers and magazines just to name a few. There are certain things you can do to help prolong the life of your records. We have listed some here.

  • Store your records in a controlled environment whenever possible. Wide ranges of temperature and humidity are bad for all kinds of records.
  • Keep your records off the floor. Water has a way of finding them there.
  • Scan or photocopy news clippings you intend to keep for a long time. Newspapers deteriorate quickly.
  • Handle photographs and negatives with care, touching only the edges when possible.
  • Do not glue photographs into scrapbooks and be wary of commercially available photo albums. Store your photos using acid-free materials whenever possible.
  • Any time you replace a computer or upgrade your software, open and save your computer files (PDF-A is the current recommended format for long term preservation)
  • Create backup copies of your electronic records. If a server is not available to you, consider purchasing an external hard drive to use to store copies of your electronic records. If possible store the external hard drive away from your computer.
  • Consider donating your records to an archives, let them do the preservation work for you.

To learn more about preservation:
Northeast Document Conservation Center Preservation Leaflets
Library of Congress

Records management simply means deciding what to keep and how long to keep it. No organization has the space to keep everything and here are some guidelines to help make the decision about what to keep and not to keep easier.

Keep these:

  • Constitution, bylaws, articles of incorporation
  • Photographs of events
  • Meeting minutes
  • Annual reports
  • Media publicity
  • Financial Reports/Audits

Consider discarding these:

  • Duplicate copies
  • Superseded blank forms
  • Things not related to your organization (supply catalogs, for instance)

To learn more about records management:

This is between you and the IRS, but here is a link you may find useful in preparing your Form 990. Tax information for Charities & Other Non-Profits

Feel free to contact us if you would like more information. If we do not know the answer, we probably know someone who does. We would be happy to hear from you.

Wyoming State Archives
Barrett Building
2301 Central Avenue
Cheyenne, WY 82002

Phone: (307) 777-7826

Frequently Asked Questions


Click Here for State Agency Staff FAQs (Records Management Program)



General FAQs:

If your transcript has been transferred to the Wyoming State Archives, please fill out our High School Transcript Request form (below) and mail or fax it to us, along with $4.00 and a copy of your driver’s license or military ID.

We try to mail or fax transcripts out within 2 business days of receiving your request and payment. If you are in Cheyenne, you can visit the Archives and make your request in person.

What if I earned my GED?

  • The Wyoming State Archives does not hold GED records, with the exception of those earned through the Wyoming Boy’s School. Please contact the Community College Commission at (307) 777-5897.

What about elementary or junior high/middle school records?

  • Elementary and junior high/middle school transcripts are not considered permanent records and in most cases were neither retained by the school nor transferred to the Archives.
  • Some pre-1990s high school transcripts do include elementary and junior high/middle school grades, but availability cannot be guaranteed.

Can I get a copy of my high school diploma?

  • The Wyoming State Archives cannot provide a replacement copy of your diploma. The one you received when you graduated is the only one that was printed. Please contact your high school about reprinting it.
  • If you need proof of your graduation, consider requesting a copy of your high school transcript which will include your graduation date.

Do you have my special education file?

  • No, we do not have special education files or learning disability test scores. These records are with the Department of Education.  Contact them at:  
    Wyoming Department of Education 
    Division of Individual Learning
    122 W. 25th Street, Suite E200, Cheyenne, WY  82002


If the certificate has become an open public record, meaning the certificate is over 100 years old if a birth certificate or over 50 years old for a marriage, divorce or death certificate, please provide:

  • Individual’s name
  • Type of certificate (birth, marriage, divorce, death)
  • Date of event
  • Location of event (county and/or city)

If you do not have exact information, please provide all that you do have.Prior to 1941, we do not have a statewide marriage or divorce index. These records were kept at the county level, so you will need an idea of which county to search. Due to staffing restrictions, we are unable to search all 23 counties.

In the case of divorce records, other than state certificates issued after 1941, please contact the county clerk of district court to obtain a docket number for the case file. Many court records have been transferred to the Archives but most courts have retained their indices. (See below for how to request court cases)

See our Vital Records section for more information.


Please contact the court of origin first to be sure that the docket or case file has been transferred to us.

When you request the file with us, please provide:

  • County of origin
  • Court of origin (municipal, circuit, Justice of the Peace, district, supreme)
  • Docket or case number
  • File type (civil, criminal, probate)
  • Name on the case.

For example, “Sheridan County District Court civil case number #970 for the divorce of William F. and Louisa Cody.”

In most cases, court files in our possession will require 48 hours to arrive from our off-site facility, so please plan accordingly. We do not know how large a file is or what it will or will not contain until we receive the case from the off-site facility.

We do not check out court cases to individuals or allow the files to leave the Reading Room unless the court of origin has requested their return. Certified copies can be made by staff.

What if I am missing some of the information?

If you do not have a piece of the needed information, please contact the court of origin. In most cases, the courts have retained the indexes so we are unable to search by name. The records transferred to us are organized by case number either in their original paper files or on microfilm. None of the case files in our holding have been digitized and we do not have access to a statewide computer database, nor individual databases for each court.

How do I contact the courts?

The Wyoming Supreme Court provides a current list of district and circuit courts and their contact information on their website. Contact information for municipal courts can usually be found by searching online for the individual court.


The State of Wyoming does not maintain an immunization record database. In most cases, immunization records were maintained by schools in student files, which may have been transferred to the Wyoming State Archives. Your school files will have followed you to your last high school attended.

To request a copy of your immunization record:

Please fill out our Immunization Record Request Form (below) and mail or fax it to us, along with a copy of your driver’s license or military ID. There is no charge for copies of immunization records that are separate from transcripts. We may contact you for payment if your immunization records are included on your transcript.

We try to mail or fax immunization records out within 2 business days of receiving your request. If you are in Cheyenne, you can visit the Archives and make your request in person.

We may not have your immunization records if:

  • You did not attend high school in Wyoming
  • You graduated before your school district considered immunization records permanent (pre-1985 in most cases)
  • You received immunizations after leaving high school

Where else can I check for my immunization records?

  • Your pediatrician or other physicians
  • Military records
  • Colleges & universities you attended
  • Out-of-state high schools attended


Beyond the basic birth, marriage, divorce and death certificates, the Wyoming State Archive’s collection is a wealth of primary and secondary sources for family research. Check out our Genealogy Resources section for more information.


    Take a look at this page: Get a Copy page


[Item description], [Collection number], [Collection name], Wyoming State Archives.


The best place to start is Find It In the Archives.  Here we list all the ways you can search our collections, including our digitized information.  Some items can only be searched in the Archives, or by our staff.  Please feel free to Contact Us to find out more.


No, an appointment is not necessary to research at the Archives, but 48 hours’ notice may be necessary to view some documents as not all of our records are housed on-site. Court cases, most state government records and some county government records are stored at our off-site facility and must be brought to the Reading Room for research.  Check out our Plan Your Visit page for more information.


Staff and dedicated volunteers can assist with research and make copies. We just ask that you keep the size of your request manageable, as we are only able to devote 1 staff hour to each person’s request. Contact Us to send us an email or find our phone or mailing contact information.


Meet the Wyoming State Archives Staff


Wyoming State Archives
Barrett Building
2301 Central Ave.
Cheyenne, WY 82002

Main Phone: (307) 777-7826
Fax: (307) 777-7044

Ask an Archivist  (email)



Sara Needles
Administrator, Cultural Resources Division

State Parks and Cultural Resources
(307) 777-7020

Kathy Marquis
State Archivist
(307) 777-8691


  • Cindy Brown, Digital Archivist (307) 777-7036
  • Robin Everett, Processing Archivist (307) 631-4640
  • Carl Hallberg, Reference Archivist (307) 777-6423
  • Suzi Taylor, Reference Archivist (307) 777-5942


Who is My Records Analyst?

  • Carmen Clayton, Records and Data Management Analyst, Supervisor Records Management Program (307) 777-5586
  • Doug Mewis, Records Center Specialist (307) 214-1901
  • Pat Newbern, Records Analyst (307) 777-8907
  • Dale Wedel, Records Analyst (307) 777-8628
  • Beth Miller, Records Analyst (307) 637-4887

  • Carmen Clayton, Records and Data Management Analyst, Supervisor State Imaging Center (307) 777-5586
  • Erica Bennett, Records and Data Management Technician (307) 777--5392
  • Jessica Cosgrove, Records and Data Management Technician (307) 777- 7263
  • Briana Drake, Records and Data Management Technician 
  • Lisa Lane, Records and Data Management Technician (307) 777-5405
  • Frank Profaizer, Records and Data Management Technician (307) 777-7043


State Historical Records Advisory Board





Preservation of Born-Digital Records, Basic Principles and Practices 2017 

Records are "born digital" if they were created first online.  How should you go about saving those records?  Learn about this important topic from Tyler Cline, Digital Archivist at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, and former Digital Archivist at the University of Wyoming's American Heritage Center. 

The archived version of this webinar is available at:





The Wyoming State Historical Records Advisory Board (SHRAB) promotes the identification, preservation and dissemination of Wyoming’s historical records. To accomplish this mission, the Board awards grants and sponsors workshops for archives, libraries, museums, and others throughout the state that collect, manage, and preserve historical records.  The SHRAB’s activities are made possible by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.

The Wyoming SHRAB consists of public officials and private citizens who believe in the importance of preserving our state's records and in making them available for the public.

Apply for Grants - see the section below. 


Brief introduction about the grant program and how to apply:

Grants of up $2500.00 are available to Wyoming residents for projects that further the SHRAB’s mission of promoting the identification, preservation, and dissemination of Wyoming’s historical records. The SHRAB will assign priority to those applications that show commitment to developing and/or implementing projects that will lead to enhanced online access to historical records.

Please review the grant guidelines and application for more information about how to apply, the eligibility requirements, and reporting responsibilities.


Click Here to Learn More >> (link opens in new tab/window)



  • Develop a statewide cooperative approach for the preservation of Wyoming records of enduring value.
  • Encourage and support ongoing training programs for state, tribal and local governments, local repositories, organizations and others involved in records care.
  • Facilitate access to and increase the use of Wyoming’s records.
  • Ensure the preservation of historical electronic records and information


Click Here to Learn More >> (link opens in new tab/window)













  • Phyllis BakerHot Springs County Museum and Cultural Center
  • Amanda Benson, Curator, Sweetwater County Historical Museum, Green River
  • Sylvia Bruner, Director/Registrar, Johnson County Jim Gatchell Memorial Museum, Buffalo
  • Sara Davis, University Archivist, American Heritage Center, University of Wyoming, Laramie
  • Shawna Goetz, Deputy Clerk of Court, Wyoming Supreme Court, Cheyenne
  • Jeremy Johnston, Curator of Western History, Buffalo Bill Center of the West, Cody
  • Kathy Marquis, Chair, Wyoming State Archivist, Department of State Parks and Cultural Resources, Cheyenne, ex-officio
  • Travis Pollok, Digital Collections/Legislative Librarian, Wyoming State Library, Cheyenne
  • Karen Rimmer, Douglas City Clerk, Douglas
  • Scarlet Skorcz, Accounts Payable, Business Office, Western Wyoming Community College, Rock Springs
  • Janie Wait, President, Intermountain Record Center, Inc., Casper



Recent worshops sponsored the Wyoming SHRAB:


Workshop on Data Management and Preservation

Date:  June 1, 2018

ArchivesSpace Introduction

Date: May 4, 2018

Preservation of Born-Digital Records, Basic Principles and Practices 2017 

The archived version of this webinar is available at:


SHRAB sponsors workshops featuring experts in:

  • Digitization
  • Oral History Projects
  • Disaster Recovery
  • Preservation
  • Records Management



Kathy Marquis
State Archivist
(307) 777-8691



Upcoming meetings and minutes of past meetings >> (link opens in new tab/window)

Bylaws >> (link opens in new tab/window)

Board information >> (link opens in new tab/window)